Sunday, August 29, 2010

Kenzie and Josh take on (and crush) the Himalayas

For those of you who didn't know, my sister Sam and I hiked the Mist Trail in Yosemite a few months back (Josh's outdoorsiness must be rubbing off on me). I would have popped the pimple that was Half Dome as well, except the rangers wouldn't let me hike it due to snow (wooses). So, of course, when I came to India, Josh and I had to conquer the Himalayas.
For Josh's last weekend in town, we headed to Dharamshala and McLeod Ganj, a town on the middle range of the Himalayas that just happens to be the home of the Dalai Lama (and sometimes Richard Gere). The weather looked like this:

Despite the monsoon, Josh and I hiked up 200 meters from McLeod Ganj (at 1770 meters) to Bhagsu, a little town with a cool waterfall...... which, of course, we climbed up to.

We also hiked to Dharamkot, a hippie village. Here we sat down and enjoyed the scenery from inside an open-air cafe:

The scenery was amazing even with the mist, and when it finally cleared up the last day: well, see for yourself:

Yes, I have seen the Himalayas!


No comments: