Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Once Upon a Time in Mumbai, Part I


Last weekend I went to Mumbai (the artist formerly known as Bombay) for Diwali. For those of you who don’t know, Mumbai is located south of Delhi on the coast, about a 2-3 hour plane ride away. I learned this a few years ago when I tried to set up two friends, one in Delhi and one in Mumbai, assuming that because they lived in the same country they lived near each other. Sundae and Josh: I guess I didn’t learn from the “California Fiasco of Freshman Year” (turns out people from SF don’t know people from SD).

On my first day in town, Ruchi and I were tourists of the first order despite the hot and humid weather (it’s like Florida there!). I took out my Lonely Plant guidebook, and we proceeded to check off places on the Colaba and on Marine Drive. We took fun pictures with the the humungous and crowded Victoria Train Terminal, the Taj hotel (where Obama would be staying two days later), the Gateway of India, and, of course, we took the prerequisite sunset picture from the posh lounge Dome at the top of the Intercontinental Hotel. We topped our day off with Diwali fireworks at the Cricket Club of India (where Ruchi's dad is a member)!

Short interlude: as some of you know, Obama has been stalking me for a while now. He flew into Mumbai two days after I did and left for Delhi on the same afternoon as me. Jeesh—if he just wanted to hang out, he could have put something on my calendar—he didn’t have to close down half the city during their most important holiday. But really: Obama’s arrival in Mumbai was slightly disastrous for my vacation plans (and Bombay residents' Diwali plans). I wasn’t able to go to the Taj for tea or Bollywood dancing at the hit night clubs in South Mumbai. “It was badly done, indeed, Obama!"

Friday was Diwali so I went to two prayer sessions, called pujas, with Ruchi’s family, one in her father’s office and one before dinner. After dinner we went to a card party, where we played 3 patti, a game similar to poker. You play these games over Diwali because the holiday is devoted to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth. I must have pissed her off as I proceeded to lose 300 rupees. Please note my lovely outfit and matching hot pink nails…I was all decked out in bright colors for the holiday. To be continued….

No comments: