Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 2: The ceremony

Sorry for the delay in writing: I got distracted by India...again.

Anyways, the second day of the wedding is when I debuted my fabulous Indian salwar kameez. I think I looked riduculous, but Uma (my friend Aadhithi's mother) and Mayuri (another friend who is an expert in Indian fashion) assured me it was the thing.


Let's be honest: I could not match the bride for beauty. Indian wedding dresses are an amazing shade of red. Perhaps I should make my dress red if I ever get married.

As for the wedding: it was a sikh ceremony so it took place in the morning. All the women wore colorful salwar kameezs and saris and the men wore turbans and handkerchiefs. Actually the women had to keep their heads covered as well...good thing I had my scarf to keep covered.


After the ceremony, we went to the reception hall for a huge Indian banquets. Indian food is like an open bar at an American wedding: the most important thing about the whole deal. I ate so much Punjabi (northern area in India) food I was full for a day. The final ceremony was quite tearful. The bride leaves her parents and goes off with her in-laws. If I had to live with my in-laws, I would be tearful as well.

The third day was a giant party, but I had to do business school essays instead. Alas. Speaking of....

No comments: